Talk about authenticity seems to be on the rise, with good reason. Being authentic in a world that tells you exactly what it looks like to be pretty or successful or happy, is not always the easiest. That is, unless you are naturally homogenous in all areas of your life. That is usually not the case for most people. We are quirky and weird, y’all! These are things that should be celebrated and not hidden. Being authentic is about being who you are without shame. Weird is wonderful, as I tell my kids!
There are many ways of being authentic: in how you deal with other people, in how you present yourself to the world, in what you like and don’t like.
Don’t ever shrink back in order to fit in.
And let’s be clear, we’re talking about harmless idiosyncrasies that make you a unique individual. Don’t go around touting your anger issues as being authentic. “That’s just how I am.” Nope. That is something you need to fix. Get help, yo.
So who are you? What do you like or love that goes against popular opinion?
Here are some of my quirkinesses:
- I like country music, the cheesier the better
- I am not a Beyonce fan #unpopularopinion
- I like to be in bed by 9pm #noshame
- I cross my legs – dinner table, restaurant, work, no matter – If I can, I will
- I almost never watch TV or movies or news, so I miss a lot of cultural references in conversation
- I am a former Christian, current believer of God | and energies | and humanity | and Jesus
- I vote Republican | and Democrat
- I am Pro Choice and Pro Life – It’s complicated, y’all
- I didn’t drink until I was 25 years old
- And the amount of times I’ve been drunk is in the lower single digits
… and lots more.
I used to go out of my way to hide my weirdnesses. Now I don’t anymore.
Let your freak flag fly!
Tell me … what are your weirdnesses?
Let’s be weird together.